PostgreSQL DBA in San Francisco, CA

From: Miho Ishikura <mihoishikura(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL DBA in San Francisco, CA
Date: 2015-06-25 20:44:05
Lists: pgsql-jobs

*Database Administrator / DBA*

*Who You Are*
You are passionate about PostgreSQL databases and data problems. You relish
the opportunity to tune databases, optimize queries, design schemas, and
write reports. You've never encountered a query that's fast enough. Big
Data does not scare you. You're comfortable working with highly-available,
highly-transacted Production databases, as well as data analytics.

You've worked with open-source databases, and you're comfortable with, or
keen to learn, new database technologies. You enjoy working in a fast-paced
environment. You're not tied to any technology, and you love to keep
up-to-date on new trends.

*The Role*
You will be part of a fun, fast-paced and highly collaborative team that
delivers new platform functionality, stability and performance
improvements. Working with our PostgreSQL and Greenplum databases, you will
work closely with our Software Engineering team to implement new database
features, write complex SQL statements, and review data definition updates.
You will work with our Analytics and Business teams to optimize queries,
and create ad-hoc reports. You will work on IT initiatives and database
administration, including backups, scripting and processing data, data
warehousing, redundancy, replication and high availability strategies. You
will work with other members of the Engineering and IT teams to maintain
greater than 99.99% platform uptime and to ensure queries are running
optimally.

*Location:* This position is ideally based in-house our San Francisco
headquarters, flexibility will be considered for the right candidate.

*Responsibilities*:

- Manage, maintain, and troubleshoot databases and data models that
support business, web, and data warehouse applications, ensuring all
services are operational 24x7x365
- Work with team members to tune the PostgreSQL databases to meet new
functional and performance releases and resolve complex database problems
through research, analysis and expertise
- Perform database monitoring, maintenance, reorganizations, resource
management, schema management, and capacity planning
- Work with the Analytics team to create and optimize queries and reports

*Qualifications*:

- Strong desire to learn about RDMS, and large data sets
- Strong UNIX/Linux knowledge and experience in scripting languages such
as BASH, Python, or Perl
- Ability to provide support for development, test, and production
environments
- Ability to work independently, solution focused, and be detail
orientated
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both oral and
written English

*Desired Experience and Knowledge:*

- B.S. degree in Computer Science
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL and Greenplum technologies
- Experience in PostgreSQL Streaming Replication
- A passion for new trends and features in the data community
- Able to bring best practices at solving database and overall
application related problems
- Avid open source supporter

*About Us*
Switchfly is the most comprehensive enterprise SaaS provider of travel and
loyalty solutions. Our flexible white-label platform powers personalized,
feature rich, and localized websites for global brands in travel, financial
services and ecommerce. We are continually improving our high-availability,
high-traffic solutions for our clients. The Switchfly technology that
powers the user experience for these global brands is core to their
business and to ours.

Whether building technology solutions, growing our clients' businesses, or
making daily life at Switchfly rewarding for all employees, Switchfly is
dedicated to success. We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive
benefits package, and a convenient downtown San Francisco location within
walking distance of BART/Muni Montgomery Street station, Caltrain, and the
Ferry Building.

We emphasize teamwork and getting things done. "People" is consistently the
top team-member-voted reason for what motivates them at Switchfly. We offer
employees the chance to work with smart, fun people on exciting projects
with sizable opportunity for growth.

Are you intensely driven, smart, and results-focused? Do you thrive in an
open, collaborative, team environment? If so, let's talk!

Miho Ishikura