Little confusing things about client_min_messages.

From: Tomonari Katsumata <t(dot)katsumata1122(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Little confusing things about client_min_messages.
Date: 2014-03-08 12:03:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I noticed that the behavior of client_min_messages do not have
a consistency in document and 'pg_settings', postgresql.conf.

----------------
the behaviro is:
I can set 'INFO', 'FATAL' and 'PANIC' as the valid value.

postgres=# set client_min_messages to info;
SET
postgres=# set client_min_messages to fatal;
SET
postgres=# set client_min_messages to panic;
SET

----------------
document says:

<literal>DEBUG1</>, <literal>LOG</>, <literal>NOTICE</>,
<literal>WARNING</>, <literal>ERROR</>, <literal>FATAL</>,
and <literal>PANIC</>. Each level

I couldn't understand the reason of disappearing 'INFO' from the document.

----------------
pg_settings says:

{debug5,debug4,debug3,debug2,debug1,log,notice,warning,error}

and

postgresql.conf says:

#client_min_messages = notice # values in order of decreasing
detail:
# debug5
# debug4
# debug3
# debug2
# debug1
# log
# notice
# warning
# error

also I couldn't understand the reason of disappearing
'info', 'fatal' and 'panic' from them.

My proposal is all valid values should be present for users.
I fixed this, please see the attached patch.

regards,
Tomonari Katsumata

Attachment Content-Type Size
clear_client_min_messages.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB