Re: pg_upgrade test mods for Windows/Mingw

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade test mods for Windows/Mingw
Date: 2012-09-03 03:53:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> The attached patch is what I had to do to get pg_upgrade's "make check" to
> run on Windows under Mingw. Mostly the changes have to do with getting
> paths right between Windows and MSys, or calling generated .bat files
> instead of shell scripts.

When reading shell script code like this

`uname -a | sed 's/.* //'` = Msys

and

sed -i -e 's,/,\\,g' -e 's,\\s\\q ,/s/q ,' delete_old_cluster.bat
2>/dev/null

I find it easier to understand and maintain if the comments also describe
what is the original string format that this pattern-matching expects,
like:

# We expect `uname -a` output like:
# Windows_NT4.0 Msys

and

# We expect lines of the format:
# abc/xyz/def/
# and we convert them to
# abc\xyz\def

BTW, would `uname -o` eliminate the need of pattern matching in the first
snippet? The Wikipedia [1] article suggests so.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uname

Best regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh