Re: Schema version management

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema version management
Date: 2012-07-05 08:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> My vote is - when there's an overloaded function, put each version in
>> its own file. And name the files something like
>> functionname_something.sql. And just document that something may not
>> be entirely stable.
>

> I would agree that's better if the dump order isn't deterministic.
>
> However, it looks like an easy fix to make the dump order deterministic:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-07/msg00232.php
>
> If the dump order is deterministic, I think its cleaner to put all
> versions in the same file.
>
> Benefits:
> + Pretty looking filename
> + Same file structure for all object types, no special exception for
> functions

I think there's a merit to keeping all overloaded variations of a function
in a single file, apart from the simplicity and benefits noted above. A
change in one variation of the function may also be applicable to other
variations, say in bug-fixes or enhancements. So keeping all variations in
one file would make sense, since it is logically one object.

Best regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh
EnterpriseDB Corporation