Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date: 2014-02-12 05:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=currawong&dt=2014-02-03%2005%3A30%3A00&stg=make

> > Hm, does the MSVC build system do parallel builds? Maybe it
> > abandoned the build after noticing the first failure, and
> > whether you get to see more than one is timing-dependent.
>
> I'm pretty certain it does, and that's quite a reasonable explanation.

It definitely does. It does it both between individual c files in a
project, and between projects (taking care about dependencies).

And yes, I've seen that cause it to build modules, particularly smaller
ones, in different order at different invocations based on small
differences in timing. And yes, it aborts on first failure.

So it would surprise me if that is *not* the problem...

> That reminds me - in addition to the option to force a serial build, I
> really need to post a patch for the msvc build that lets you suppress
> VERBOSE mode.

That probably wouldn't hurt :-)

/Magnus