Re: New CF app deployment

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CF app deployment
Date: 2015-02-07 12:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 1:02 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I'd like the ability to add a comment which does not get turned into an
> >> email.
>
> > I really don't ;)
>
> > The reason I really don't like that is that this now makes it impossible
> > track the review status by just reading throught he mail thread. You have
> > to context-switch back and forth between the app and the archives. We had
> > this problem in the old system every now and then where reviews were
> > posted entirely in the old system...
>
> Yeah, people did that sometimes and it sucked. At the same time I see
> Jeff's point: 300-email threads tend to contain a lot of dross. Could we
> address it by allowing only *very short* annotations? The limiting case
> would be 1-bit annotations, ie you could star the important messages in a
> thread; but that might be too restrictive.

Right - to me that's the difference between annotation (per Roberts email
earlier, just "tagging" won't be enough, and I think I agree with that -
but a limited length ones) and a "comment".

It could be that I'm reading too much into Jeff's suggestion though - maybe
that's actually what he is suggesting.

The annotation would then "highlight" the email in the archives with a
direct link (haven't figured out exactly how to implement that part yet but
I have some ideas and I think it's going to work out well).

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/