Re: Superuser connect during smart shutdown

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Superuser connect during smart shutdown
Date: 2014-10-19 07:54:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 19, 2014 4:34 AM, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > But TBH I suspect 95% of the problems here would vanish if smart
> > shutdown weren't the default ...
>
> But for your repeated objections, we would have changed the default to
fast years ago. AFAICT everyone else is in favor of that.

Yes, most others even seemed more than happy to change the behaviour of
smart to be that of fast, and rename the old "smart" method to "silly".

no, that's not something I'd recommend, for compatibility reasons, but
definitely +<all current quota> to not have the silly be the default..

/Magnus