pg_receivexlog and feedback message

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_receivexlog and feedback message
Date: 2012-06-05 12:53:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Right now, pg_receivexlog sets:
replymsg->write = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
replymsg->flush = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
replymsg->apply = InvalidXLogRecPtr;

when it sends it's status updates.

I'm thinking it sohuld set replymsg->write = blockpos instad.

Why? That way you can see in pg_stat_replication what has actually
been received by pg_receivexlog - not just what we last sent. This can
be useful in combination with an archive_command that can block WAL
recycling until it has been saved to the standby. And it would be
useful as a general monitoring thing as well.

I think the original reason was that it shouldn't interefer with
synchronous replication - but it does take away a fairly useful
usecase...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/