Re: IDLE in transaction introspection

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDLE in transaction introspection
Date: 2011-12-12 19:12:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 17:45, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

>> > V3 Attached:
>> >
>> >   * Updates Documentation
>> >     -- Adds a separate table to cover each column of pg_stat_activity
>>
>> I like that a lot - we should've done taht years ago :-)
>>
>> For consistency, either both datname and usename should refer to their
>> respective oid, or none of them.
>>

>> application_name  should probably have a link to the libpq
>> documentation for said parameter.
>>
>> "field is not set" should probably be "field is NULL"
>>

> Thanks for pointing these out.
>

>> "Boolean, if the query is waiting because of a block / lock" reads
>> really strange to me. "Boolean indicating if" would be a good start,
>> but I'm not sure what you're trying to say with "block / lock" at all?
>

> Yeah, me neither.  What about:
>    "Boolean indicating if a query is in a wait state due to a conflict with
> another backend."

Maybe "Boolean indicating if a backend is currently waiting on a lock"?

>> The use of single quotes in the descriptions, things like "This is the
>> 'state' of" seems wrong. If we should use anything, it should be
>> double quotes, but why do we need double quotes around that? And the
>> reference to "think time" is just strange, IMO.
>>
> Yeah, that's a 'Scottism' (see, I used it again :-).  I'll clean that up

:-)

>> In some other cases, the single quotes should probably be replaced
>> with <literal>.
>>
>> NB: should probably be <note>.
>>

> I am actually looking for some helping in describing the "<FASTPATH>
> function call" state.  Any takers?

Not sure how detailed you have to be - since it's a fairly uncommon
thing, you can probalby get away with something as simple as
"executing a fast-path function" or something like that?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/