Re: hstore extension version screwup

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hstore extension version screwup
Date: 2013-10-03 17:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:
> On 9/29/13 9:41 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> Git doesn't support setting file permissions other than the executable
>>> bit, so this is a nonstarter.
>>>

>> Oh, didn't know that, I've certainly know other SCM systems that do.
>

> We could potentially do it with git commit hooks, but the problem is that
> there's no way to force use of those on clients (a huge deficiency in git,
> imho).

We could also use git receive hooks, but those would be very hard to
override when you *do* need to modify the files (which you might
within a release).

What we could also do is just have the make all target, or the
configure script, (or something else a developer runs often) chmod the
file. It's not bulletproof in any way, but it would give a decent hint
in most cases.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/