Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date: 2014-08-27 06:55:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

>>> Happy with removing the option and just accepting -X for backward
>>> compat.
>>
>> Works for me - this is really the cleaner way of doing it...
>
> We cannot use -X stream with tar output format mode. So I'm afraid that
> removing -X fetch would make people using tar output format feel disappointed.
> Or we should make -X stream work with tar mode.

Ah, yes, I've actually had that on my TODO for some time.

I think the easy way of doing that is to just create an xlog.tar file.
Since we already create "base.tar" and possibly n*<tablespace.tar>,
adding one more file shouldn't be a big problem, and would make such
an implementation much easier. Would be trivial to do .tar.gz for it
as well, just like for the others.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/