Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: Dave Chinner <david(at)fromorbit(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mel Gorman <mgorman(at)suse(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org" <lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date: 2014-01-20 09:36:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Dave Chinner <david(at)fromorbit(dot)com> wrote:
>> Postgres is far from being the only application that wants this; many
>> people resort to tmpfs because of this:
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/499410/
>
> Yes, we covered the possibility of using tmpfs much earlier in the
> thread, and came to the conclusion that temp files can be larger
> than memory so tmpfs isn't the solution here. :)

What I meant is: lots of applications want this behavior. If Linux
filesystems had support for delaying writeback for temporary files,
then there would be no point in mounting tmpfs on /tmp at all and we'd
get the best of both worlds.

Right now people resort to tmpfs because of this missing feature. And
then have their machines end up in swap hell if they overuse it.

Regards,
Marti