Re: Standby catch up state change

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standby catch up state change
Date: 2013-10-16 05:33:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>wrote:

> I think you're over-intrepreting it.

I think you are right. Someone who understands the replication code very
well advised us to use that log message as a way to measure how much time
it takes to send all the missing WAL to a remote standby on a slow WAN
link. While it worked well for all measurements, when we use a middleware
which caches a lot of traffic on the sender side, this log message was very
counter intuitive. It took several more minutes for the standby to actually
receive all the WAL files and catch up after the message was displayed on
the master side. But then as you said, may be relying on the message was
not the best way to measure the time.

Thanks,
Pavan

--