Re: Upcoming back-branch releases

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upcoming back-branch releases
Date: 2012-11-26 16:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> We're about due for a new set of back-branch update releases. After
> some discussion among the packagers, it seems the best window for
> getting this done before the holiday season sets in is next week.
>
> Also, as previously mentioned, we're experimenting with weekday
> rather than over-the-weekend release windows, since this is much
> more convenient for Dave Page and his crew at EDB.
>
> The current plan is to wrap tarballs on Monday Dec 3 for public
> announcement Thursday Dec 6.

There is one open bug reported by Amit Kapila that I feel is important. I'd
investigated this and Simon had volunteered to fix the same.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-10/msg01584.php

I'm not sure about the project policies about fixing known bugs before
minor releases, but AFAICS this one can lead to corrupt indexes and as a
consequence return wrong query results (as shown in the case by Amit). So
IMHO we should fix this.

Thanks,
Pavan