Re: pg_restore: show object schema name in verbose output

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore: show object schema name in verbose output
Date: 2013-08-04 13:35:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/8/4 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> 2013/8/4 Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>:
>> On Sun, August 4, 2013 04:51, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>>> I just noticed that pg_restore executing in "verbose" mode displays the
>>> name of the object being restored, but not its schema.
>>>

>> Good idea. We have many schemata with tables of the same name and
>> reporting the schema name certainly improves the readability and error
>> trackdown during restore.
>>
>> I notice 2 things:
>>

>> 1. pg_restore now outputs reports about COMMENT like this:
>> pg_restore: creating COMMENT restore_verbose_test.TABLE t
>> pg_restore: creating COMMENT restore_verbose_test.COLUMN t.c
>> pg_restore: creating COMMENT restore_verbose_test.COLUMN t.i
>>
>> I assume the .TABLE and .COLUMN here is a bug; it should just be:
>>
>> pg_restore: creating COMMENT restore_verbose_test t
>>
>> as it used to be.

Actually the current output would be:

pg_restore: creating COMMENT TABLE t

Anyway this is a bit trickier than I originally thought, but I understand
the inner workings of pg_restore et al better now anyway :)

>> 2. Several of the lines that are output by pg_restore now mention
>> the schema, but not the "processing" line:
>>
>> pg_restore: processing data for table "t"
>>
>> Could it be added there too?

That looks quite straightforward.

> Thanks for the feedback and test case. I'll submit a revised patch.

The attached patch should work somewhat better, but methinks I'll need
to work on it a bit more. Also, for the sake of consistency it would
be useful to show the schema (where appropriate) in the owner/privileges
setting output, e.g.:

pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for TABLE t

Regards

Ian Barwick

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-restore-verbose-output-schema-2013-08-04.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB