Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date: 2012-12-23 14:29:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:

> Added new version with default verbose and quiet option. Also updated
> docs to reflect changes.

Thanks for the updated patches.

Here is the status about the binary patch:
- Code compiles without any warnings
- After testing the patch, it behaves as expected, default option is now
verbose, the output can be hidden using -q or --quiet
However, I still have the following comments:
- in pg_isready.c, the function "help" needs to be static.
- the list of options called with getopt_long should be classified in
alphabetical order (the option q is not at the correct position)
d:h:p:U:qV => d:h:p:qU:V

Then, about the doc patch:
- docs compile correctly (I did a manual check)
- I am not a native English speaker, but the docs look correct to me. There
are enough examples and description is enough. No problems either with the
sgml format.

Once the 2 small things I noticed are fixed, this patch can be marked as
ready for committer.
Thanks,
--
Michael Paquier