Re: psql \watch versus \timing

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \watch versus \timing
Date: 2014-08-18 06:19:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached patch changes \watch so that it displays how long the query takes
> if \timing is enabled.
>
> I didn't refactor PSQLexec and SendQuery into one routine because
> the contents of those functions are not so same. I'm not sure how much
> it's worth doing that refactoring. Anyway this feature is quite useful
> even without that refactoring, I think.

The patch applies correctly and it does correctly what it is made for:
=# \timing
Timing is on.
=# select 1;
?column?
----------
1
(1 row)
Time: 0.407 ms
=# \watch 1
Watch every 1s Mon Aug 18 15:17:41 2014
?column?
----------
1
(1 row)
Time: 0.397 ms
Watch every 1s Mon Aug 18 15:17:42 2014
?column?
----------
1
(1 row)
Time: 0.615 ms

Refactoring it would be worth it thinking long-term... And printing
the timing in PSQLexec code path is already done in SendQuery, so
that's doing two times the same thing IMHO.

Now, looking at the patch, introducing the new function
PSQLexecInternal with an additional parameter to control the timing is
correct choosing the non-refactoring way of doing. But I don't think
that printing the time outside PSQLexecInternal is consistent with
SendQuery. Why not simply control the timing with a boolean flag and
print the timing directly in PSQLexecInternal?
Michael