Re: KNN-GiST with recheck

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: KNN-GiST with recheck
Date: 2014-12-15 01:56:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> 1. This patch introduces a new "polygon <-> point" operator. That seems
> useful on its own, with or without this patch.
This patch is tracked with this entry in the commit fest app and is
marked as "Ready for committer". Hence I am moving this specific part
to 2014-12 to keep track of it:

> 3. A binary heap would be a better data structure to buffer the rechecked
> values. A Red-Black tree allows random insertions and deletions, but in this
> case you need to insert arbitrary values but only remove the minimum item.
> That's exactly what a binary heap excels at. We have a nice binary heap
> implementation in the backend that you can use, see
> src/backend/lib/binaryheap.c.
Based on those comments, I am marking this entry as returned with feedback:
Heikki has sent as well a new patch to use a binary heap method
instead of the red-black tree here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54886BB8.9040000@vmware.com
IMO this last patch should be added in the CF app, that's not the case now.
Michael