Re: Add regression tests for autocommit-off mode for psql and fix some omissions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Feike Steenbergen <feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add regression tests for autocommit-off mode for psql and fix some omissions
Date: 2014-10-06 12:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Feike Steenbergen <
feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I would like to propose to add a regression test for all statements
> that call PreventTransactionChain in autocommit-off mode. I propose to
> add these tests to src/test/regress/sql/psql.sql as this is a
> psql-specific mode. Alternatively an isolated test called autocommit.sql
> could be created.

Putting all this stuff in psql.sql is good enough IMO.

> During the writing of the regression test I found another statement
> not covered in the current function: DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY.

That's a good catch and it should be a separate patch. This could even be
considered for a back-patch down to 9.2. Thoughts?

> I have created a patch consisting of a regression test and adding DROP
> INDEX CONCURRENTLY to command_no_begin.

CREATE DATABASE and DROP DATABASE are not commands present (not allowed?)
in the regression suite. ALTER SYSTEM has no tests as well, and REINDEX
DATABASE may take time so they may be better ripped off... Also tests for
CLUSTER without arguments, transaction commands, DISCARD and VACUUM would
be good things.
Michael