Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)berkus(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date: 2017-08-23 06:38:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It seems to me that we should discuss whether we want to keep the some
> syntax such as 'a,b', 'N(a,b)' before thinking whether or not that
> making the quorum commit the default behavior of 'N(a,b)' syntax. If
> we plan to remove such syntax in a future release we can live with the
> current code and should document it.

The parsing code of repl_gram.y represents zero maintenance at the
end, so let me suggest to just live with what we have and do nothing.
Things kept as they are are not bad either. By changing the default,
people may have their failover flows silently trapped. So if we change
the default we will perhaps make some users happy, but I think that we
are going to make also some people angry. That's not fun to debug
silent failover issues.

At the end of the day, we could just add one sentence in the docs
saying the use of ANY and FIRST is encouraged over the past grammar
because they are clearer to understand.
--
Michael