Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add modulo (%) operator to pgbench
Date: 2015-01-01 09:02:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1 January 2015 at 21:23, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> I was about to go and look at this, but I had a problem when attempting to
>> compile with MSVC.
>>

> Thanks! Here is a v4 which includes your fix.

Thank you.

I've had a quick look at the patch as I'm quite interested in seeing some
improvements in this area.

At the moment I feel the patch is a bit half done. I really think that
since the gaussian and exponential stuff was added in commit ed802e7d, that
this should now be changed so that we have functions like random(),
erandom() and grandom() and the way to use this becomes:

\set name random(1,10)
\set name erandom(1,10)

And we completely pull out the new \\setrandom additions added in that
commit. We'd likely keep \\setrandom name 1 10 for backwards compatibility.

Does anyone else feel strongly about fixing this now, while we have the
chance?

Regards

David Rowley