Re: Better LWLocks with compare-and-swap (9.4)

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better LWLocks with compare-and-swap (9.4)
Date: 2013-05-15 22:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> pgbench -S is such a workload. With 9.3beta1, I'm seeing this profile, when
> I run "pgbench -S -c64 -j64 -T60 -M prepared" on a 32-core Linux machine:
>
> - 64.09% postgres postgres [.] tas
> - tas
> - 99.83% s_lock
> - 53.22% LWLockAcquire
> + 99.87% GetSnapshotData
> - 46.78% LWLockRelease
> GetSnapshotData
> + GetTransactionSnapshot
> + 2.97% postgres postgres [.] tas
> + 1.53% postgres libc-2.13.so [.] 0x119873
> + 1.44% postgres postgres [.] GetSnapshotData
> + 1.29% postgres [kernel.kallsyms] [k] arch_local_irq_enable
> + 1.18% postgres postgres [.] AllocSetAlloc
>
> So, on this test, a lot of time is wasted spinning on the mutex of
> ProcArrayLock. If you plot a graph of TPS vs. # of clients, there is a
> surprisingly steep drop in performance once you go beyond 29 clients
> (attached, pgbench-lwlock-cas-local-clients-sets.png, red line). My theory
> is that after that point all the cores are busy, and processes start to be
> sometimes context switched while holding the spinlock, which kills
> performance.

I have, I also used linux perf to come to this conclusion, and my
determination was similar: a system was undergoing increasingly heavy
load, in this case with processes >> number of processors. It was
also a phase-change type of event: at one moment everything would be
going great, but once a critical threshold was hit, s_lock would
consume enormous amount of CPU time. I figured preemption while in
the spinlock was to blame at the time, given the extreme nature.