Re: PL/pgSQL 2

From: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Date: 2014-09-03 05:19:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The notion of hacking features onto plpgsql2 that mostly seem like SQL
> enhancements is a waste of time.

New versions of languages who change too much in a new version are
doomed to fail. There are many such examples in history.
Completely new languages are however not doomed to fail.

So when we are talking about a plpgsql2, the changes should come from
all the collective wisdome we have gained during the 16 years of its
existence.
When we are talking about a completely new language, then of course we
should start from scratch we don't need to base it on any single
language if we don't want to.