Re: [WIP] showing index maintenance on EXPLAIN

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] showing index maintenance on EXPLAIN
Date: 2014-05-08 03:52:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch implements $subject only when ANALYZE and VERBOSE are on.
> I made it that way because for years nobody seemed interested in this
> info (at least no one did it) so i decided that maybe is to much
> information for most people (actually btree indexes are normally very
> fast).

Why to capture only for Index Insert/Update and not for Read; is it
because Read will be always fast ot implementation complexity?

Why not similar timings for heap?

Why can't we print when only Analyze is used with Explain, the
execution time is printed with Analyze option?

Could you please tell in what all kind of scenario's, do you expect it
to be useful?
One I could think is that if there are multiple indexes on a table and user
wants to find out if any particular index is consuming more time.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.