Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Hari Babu <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date: 2013-12-12 05:27:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> This patch fails the regression tests; see attachment.

Thanks for reporting the diffs. The reason for failures is that
still decoding for tuple is not done as mentioned in Notes section in
mail
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1JeUbY16uwrDA2TaBkk+rLRL3Giyyqy1mVh_6CThmDR8w@mail.gmail.com)

However, to keep the sanity of patch, I will do that and post an
updated patch, but I think the main idea behind new approach at this
point is to get feedback on if such an optimization is acceptable
for worst case scenarios and if not whether we can get this done
with table level or GUC option.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.