Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date: 2014-08-08 04:19:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wrote:

> >> What about picking up only data_directory at the first pass?
> >
> > I think that will workout and for that I think we might need to add
> > few checks during ProcessConfigFile. Do you want to address it
> > during parsing of config file or during setting of values?
>
> I prefer "during paring". The attached patch does that. In this patch,
> the first call of ProcessConfigFile() picks up only data_directory. One
> concern of this patch is that the logic is a bit ugly.

I think handling 'data_directory' in ParseConfigFp() looks bit out of
place as this API is used to parse other config files as well like
recovery.conf. I agree that for all other paths DataDir might be
already set due to which this new path will never be executed, still
from code maintenance point of view it would have been better if we
can find a way to handle it in a place where we are processing
the server's main config file (postgresql.conf).

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.