Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date: 2015-01-07 05:51:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:

> On 20 December 2014 16:30, Amit Kapila Wrote,
> >Summarization of latest changes:
>
> >1. Change file name from symlink_label to tablespace_map and changed
>
> >the same every where in comments and variable names.
>
> >2. This feature will be supportted for both windows and linux;
tablespace_map

> >file will be generated on both windows and linux to restore tablespace
links

> >during archive recovery.
>
> >3. Handling for special characters in tablesapce path name.
> >4. Updation of docs.
>
> I did not followed this patch for quite some time, I have seen all the
threads regarding this patch and reviewed from those perspective.

> 1. I have done the testing and behavior is fine
> 2. For handling special character like new line character, I saw
discussion mostly for two option,
> a. Don’t support such table space name in tablespace map file and
skip those tablespace.

> b. Add ‘\’ character when there is new line in the tablespace name.
>
> And you have selected option 2, I don’t see any problem in this because
it is maintaining human readability, I just want ask is this as per the
consensus ?

Tom has spotted this problem and suggested 3 different options
to handle this issue, apart from above 2, third one is "Go over to
a byte-count-then-value format". Then Andrew and Heikki
supported/asked to follow option 2 (as is followed in patch) and no
one objected, so I used the same to fix the issue.

Based on above, I would say we have a consensus to follow this
approach.

> Other than that patch seems fine to me..

Thanks for reviewing it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.