Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2013-01-25 10:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 January 2013 06:00, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com> wrote:
> Noah Misch wrote:
>
>> The patch conflicts with git master; I tested against master(at){2013-01-20}(dot)
>
> New patch rebased, fixes issues raised by Thom Brown, and addresses
> some of your points.

Thanks for the new version. All previous issues I raised have been resolved.

I have an inconsistency to note between VIEWs and MATERIALIZED VIEWs:

CREATE VIEW v_test8 (meow, "?column?") AS SELECT 1 bark, 2;
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv_test8 (meow, "?column?") AS SELECT 1 bark, 2;

pg_dump output:

CREATE VIEW v_test8 AS
SELECT 1 AS meow, 2;

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv_test8 (
meow,
"?column?"
) AS
SELECT 1 AS meow, 2
WITH NO DATA;

The materialized view adds in column name parameters, whereas the
standard view doesn't. But it seems to add column parameters
regardless:

CREATE VIEW v_test9 AS SELECT 1;
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW v_test9 AS SELECT 1;

CREATE VIEW v_test9 AS
SELECT 1;

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv_test9 (
"?column?"
) AS
SELECT 1
WITH NO DATA;

VIEWs never seem to use column parameters, MATERIALIZED VIEWs always
appear to use them.

--
Thom