Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication
Date: 2012-10-10 14:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 October 2012 15:26, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:32 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 06.10.2012 15:58, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> > One more test seems to be failed. Apart from this, other tests are
>> passed.
>> >
> It seems there is one more defect, please check the same
> Defect:
>
> 1. start primary A
> 2. start standby B following A
> 3. start cascade standby C following B.
> 4. Promote standby B.
> 5. After successful time line switch in cascade standby C, stop C.
> 6. Restart C, startup is failing with the following error.
> FATAL: requested timeline 2 does not contain minimum recovery point
> 0/3000000 on timeline 1

Hmm... I get something different. When I promote standby B, standby
C's log shows:

LOG: walreceiver ended streaming and awaits new instructions
LOG: re-handshaking at position 0/4000000 on tli 1
LOG: fetching timeline history file for timeline 2 from primary server
LOG: walreceiver ended streaming and awaits new instructions
LOG: new target timeline is 2

Then when I stop then start standby C I get:

FATAL: timeline history was not contiguous
LOG: startup process (PID 22986) exited with exit code 1
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

--
Thom