Re: Patch: clean up addRangeTableEntryForFunction

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: clean up addRangeTableEntryForFunction
Date: 2013-07-02 17:45:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> I've been working with Andrew Gierth (well, mostly he's been doing the
> work, as usual) to add WITH ORDINALITY as an option for set-returning
> functions. In the process, he found a minor opportunity to clean up
> the interface for $SUBJECT, reducing the call to a Single Point of
> Truth for lateral-ness, very likely improving the efficiency of calls
> to that function.
>
> Please find attached the patch.

I think this patch is utterly pointless. I recommend we reject it.
If this were part of some larger refactoring that was going in some
direction we could agree on, it might be worth it. But as it is, I
think it's just a shot in the dark whether this change will end up
being better or worse, and my personal bet is that it won't make any
difference whatsoever.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company