Re: ToDo: pg_backup - using a conditional DROP

From: Torello Querci <tquerci(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo: pg_backup - using a conditional DROP
Date: 2011-11-15 09:31:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2011/11/15 Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Hello,
>
> there is a request on enhancing of pg_backup to produce a conditional
> DROPs. A reason for this request is more simple usage in very dynamic
> production - cloud BI solution.
>
> pg_backup can have a new option "--conditional-drops" and then pg_dump
> will produce a DROP IF EXISTS statements instead DROP statements.
>
> Ideas, comments?

I think that if there is other way to get the same result in other way
is better to use it without add new options.

In this case, if you are on unix environment, I suppose that you can
use external batch to manipulate the output file, like "sed" I
suppose.
Obviusly this is my personal opinion.

Best Regards
Torello