Re: refresh materialized view concurrently

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: refresh materialized view concurrently
Date: 2013-06-16 12:33:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 June 2013 17:05, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is a patch for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY for
> 9.4 CF1. The goal of this patch is to allow a refresh without
> interfering with concurrent reads, using transactional semantics.

Is there a reason to keep the non-concurrent behaviour? Anybody that
wants to explicitly lock should just run a LOCK statement. Can't we
treat behaviour when fully locked as an optimisation, so we can just
do the right thing without extra thought and keywords?

> It is my hope to get this committed during this CF to allow me to
> focus on incremental maintenance for the rest of the release cycle.

Incremental maintenance will be very straightforward using the logical
changeset extraction code Andres is working on. Having two parallel
mechanisms for changeset extraction in one release seems like a waste
of time. Especially when one is known to be better than the other
already.

Given that we also want to do concurrent CLUSTER and ALTER TABLE ...
SET TABLESPACE using changeset extraction I think its time that
discussion happened on hackers.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/