Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-03-06 08:41:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5 March 2013 18:02, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> Fletcher is probably significantly faster than CRC-16, because I'm just
> doing int32 addition in a tight loop.
>
> Simon originally chose Fletcher, so perhaps he has more to say.

IIRC the research showed Fletcher was significantly faster for only a
small loss in error detection rate.

It was sufficient to make our error detection > 1 million times
better, possibly more. That seems sufficient to enable early detection
of problems, since if we missed the first error, a second is very
likely to be caught (etc). So I am assuming that we're trying to catch
a pattern of errors early, rather than guarantee we can catch the very
first error.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/