Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date: 2014-12-08 00:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 October 2014 at 10:57, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:

> Currently, a non-freeze vacuum will punt on any page it can't get a cleanup
> lock on, with no retry. Presumably this should be a rare occurrence, but I
> think it's bad that we just assume that and won't warn the user if something
> bad is going on.

(I'm having email problems, so I can't see later mails on this thread,
so replying here.)

Logging patch looks fine, but I would rather not add a line of text
for each VACUUM, just in case this is non-zero. I think we should add
that log line only if the blocks skipped > 0.

What I'm more interested in is what you plan to do with the
information once we get it?

The assumption that skipping blocks is something bad is strange. I
added it because VACUUM could and did regularly hang on busy tables,
which resulted in bloat because other blocks that needed cleaning
didn't get any attention.

Which is better, spend time obsessively trying to vacuum particular
blocks, or to spend the time on other blocks that are in need of
cleaning and are available to be cleaned?

Which is better, have autovacuum or system wide vacuum progress on to
other tables that need cleaning, or spend lots of effort retrying?

How do we know what is the best next action?

I'd really want to see some analysis of those things before we spend
even more cycles on this.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/