Re: tracking commit timestamps

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anssi Kääriäinen <anssi(dot)kaariainen(at)thl(dot)fi>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date: 2014-11-15 01:21:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 14 November 2014 17:12, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> We are not talking about loading 20 new
> requirements on top of this patch; that would be intolerable. We're
> talking about adding one additional piece of information that has been
> requested multiple times over the years.

The requested information is already available, as discussed. Logical
decoding adds commit ordering for *exactly* the purpose of using it
for replication, available to all solutions. This often requested
feature has now been added and doesn't need to be added twice.

So what we are discussing is adding a completely superfluous piece of
information.

Not including the LSN info does nothing to trigger based replication,
which will no doubt live on happily for many years. But adding LSN
will slow down logical replication, for no purpose at all.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/