Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2013-01-17 16:46:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 January 2013 05:40, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com> wrote:

> Here is a new version of the patch, with most issues discussed in

Looks good.

The patch implements one kind of MV. In the future, we hope to have
other features or other kinds of MV alongside this:
* Snapshot MV - built once at start and then refreshed by explicit command only
* Snapshot MV with fast refresh
* Maintained MV (lazy) - changes trickle continuously into lazy MVs
* Maintained MV (transactional) - changes applied as part of write transactions
and or others

So I think we should agree now some aspects of those other options so
we can decide syntax. Otherwise we'll be left in the situation that
what we implement in 9.3 becomes the default for all time and/or we
have difficulties adding things later. e.g.
REFRESH ON COMMAND

Also, since there is no optimizer linkage between these MVs and the
tables they cover, I think we need to have that explicitly as a
command option, e.g.
DISABLE OPTIMIZATION

That way in the future we can implement "ENABLE OPTIMIZATION" mode and
REFRESH TRANSACTIONAL mode as separate items.

So all I am requesting is that we add additional syntax now, so that
future additional features are clear.

Please suggest syntax, not wedded to those... and we may want to use
more compatible syntax also.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/