Re: checkpointer continuous flushing

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date: 2015-09-09 14:49:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> (3) posix_fadvise on Linux is a bad idea... the good news is that it
>> is not needed there:-) How good or bad an idea it is on other system
>> is an open question...
>
> I don't know what is the best way to verify that, if some body else has
> access to such a m/c, please help to get that verified.

Why wouldn't we just leave it out then? Putting it in when the one
platform we've tried it on shows a regression makes no sense. We
shouldn't include it and then remove it if someone can prove it's bad;
we should only include it in the first place if we have good
benchmarks showing that it is good.

Does anyone have a big Windows box they can try this on?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company