Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date: 2013-10-11 00:51:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Patch attached.

ISTM that we have broad consensus that doing this at initdb time is
more desirable than doing it in the server on the fly. Not everyone
agrees with that (you don't, for instance) but there were many, many
votes in favor of that option.

Judging by the commit I just pushed to do initdb-time selection of the
dynamic shared memory implementation to use, this is probably not hard
to code.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company