Re: API change advice: Passing plan invalidation info from the rewriter into the planner?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Yeb Havinga <yeb(dot)havinga(at)portavita(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: API change advice: Passing plan invalidation info from the rewriter into the planner?
Date: 2014-06-17 19:19:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Yeah, I was thinking something like this could work, but I would go
> further. Suppose you had separate GRANTable privileges for direct
> access to individual tables, bypassing RLS, e.g.
>
> GRANT DIRECT SELECT|INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE ON table_name TO role_name

So, is this one new privilege (DIRECT) or four separate new privileges
that are variants of the existing privileges (DIRECT SELECT, DIRECT
INSERT, DIRECT UPDATE, DIRECT DELETE)?

> Actually, given the fact that the majority of users won't be using
> RLS, I would be tempted to invert the above logic and have the new
> privilege be for LIMITED access (via RLS quals). So a user granted the
> normal SELECT privilege would be able to bypass RLS, but a user only
> granted LIMITED SELECT wouldn't.

Well, for the people who are not using RLS, there's no difference
anyway. I think it matters more what users of RLS will expect from a
command like GRANT SELECT ... and I'm guessing they'll prefer that RLS
always apply unless they very specifically grant the right for RLS to
not apply. I might be wrong, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company