Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-07-25 19:58:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Josh Berkus escribió:
>
>> We are missing one feature, which is the ability to relocate the
>> postgresql.auto.conf file if relocating it is desireable according to
>> some sysadmin spec. This kind of ties into another patch which was
>> discussed on this list -- the ability to relocate the recovery.conf
>> file.
>
> Well, postgresql.conf is already relocatable. Is there any advantage in
> being able to move postgresql.auto.conf to a different location than
> postgresql.conf? I don't see any. I didn't follow the recovery.conf
> discussion, but I imagine that the reason for wanting to be able to
> relocate it is related to standby vs. master distinction. This doesn't
> apply to postgresql.auto.conf, I think, does it?
>
> If people want to drill real down, they can always have a
> postgresql.auto.conf that's a symlink. (In this light, we would ship an
> empty postgresql.auto.conf in a freshly initdb'd system. IIRC the
> current patch already does that.)

My thought is that people might put postgresql.conf in a directory
that only contains configuration files and isn't writeable by the
postgres user. So I would expect to find postgresql.auto.conf in the
data directory always.

But in general +1 for your proposal.

--
Robert Haas