Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs)
Date: 2011-09-22 13:55:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Kevin Grittner
> That's the sort of thing where it would be helpful to provide one or
> two URLs for cogent explanations of this.  Even if it takes repeated
> readings and meditations on the explanations for it to sink in, this
> is worth it.  (For SSI I had to read the paper many times, and then
> go read several referenced papers, before I really had my head
> around it, and I've had others say the same thing.  But having a
> link to the material gives someone a chance to *do* that.)

Hmm....

<looks around the Internet some more>

These might be a good place to start, although the first one is
somewhat Linux-kernel specific:

http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ordering.2007.09.19a.pdf
http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/whymb.2010.06.07c.pdf

There's also a reasonably cogent explanation in the Linux kernel
itself, in Documentation/memory-barriers.txt

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company