Re: assessing parallel-safety

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: assessing parallel-safety
Date: 2015-03-16 19:02:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Is there a reason not to make a rule that opclass members must be
>> parallel-safe? I ask because I think it's important that the process
>> of planning a query be categorically parallel-safe.
>
> I'm not seeing the connection between those two statements. The planner
> doesn't usually execute opclass members, at least not as such.

Hmm, I guess I'm spouting nonsense there. The way the operator gets
invoked during planning is that eqsel() calls it. But that doesn't
require it to be part of an opclass; it just has to be an operator
that's chosen that eqsel as its selectivity estimator.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company