Re: Support for RANGE ... PRECEDING windows in OVER

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ian link <ian(at)ilink(dot)io>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for RANGE ... PRECEDING windows in OVER
Date: 2013-07-01 18:39:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM, ian link <ian(at)ilink(dot)io> wrote:
> I found some time and I think I am up to speed now. I finally figured out
> how to add new operator strategies and made a little test operator for
> myself.
>
> It seems pretty clear that assuming '+' and '-' are addition and subtraction
> is a bad idea. I don't think it would be too tricky to add support for new
> operator strategies. Andrew Gierth suggested calling these new strategies
> "offset -" and "offset +", which I think describes it pretty well. I
> assigned the operator itself to be "@+" and "@-" but that can obviously be
> changed. If this sounds like a good path to you guys, I will go ahead and
> implement the operators for the appropriate types. Please let me know if I
> am misunderstanding something - I am still figuring stuff out :)

I don't think I understand the design you have in mind. I'm actually
not clear that it would be all that bad to assume fixed operator
names, as we apparently do in a few places despite the existence of
operator classes. But if that is bad, then I don't know how using @+
and @- instead helps anything.

--
Robert Haas