Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?
Date: 2012-03-09 21:16:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> If we're going to go the ad-hoc route, there seems little reason to be
> considering a core patch at all.  Freestanding checkers could just as
> well be independent projects.

I completely agree. I think there is little reason to be considering
a core patch. I haven't seen any convincing evidence (or any evidence
at all) that being able to fling checkers at a large number of
functions written in different procedural languages is an important
use case for anyone. I think the vast majority of checking will get
done one function at a time; and therefore we are gilding the lily.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company