Re: Some interesting news about Linux 3.12 OOM

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some interesting news about Linux 3.12 OOM
Date: 2013-09-19 15:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> But, naturally, that will not be a problem
>>> since all user-space code diligently checks the return status of every
>>> system call and responds with well-tested error-handling code when
>>> things go wrong.
>
> That just short circuited my sarcasm detector.

I laughed, too, but the reality is that at least as far as PG is
concerned it's probably a truthful statement, and if it isn't, nobody
here is likely to complain about having to fix it. Yeah, there's a
lot of other code out there not as well written or maintained as PG,
but using SIGKILL as a substitute for ENOMEM because people might not
be checking the return value for malloc() is extremely heavy-handed
nannyism.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company