Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, premanand <kottiprem(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL search query is not executing in Postgres DB
Date: 2012-11-27 20:41:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> What user action are you concerned about? If we (eventually) made the
> non-overloaded case the default, would that resolve your concerns?

I can't quite see how a non-overloaded flag would work, unless we get
rid of schemas. But I think there are a variety of other kinds of
labeling that I think would work. I'm still not sure that's as good
as a general solution, because if nothing else it relies on us to make
the right decision as to which type to use in each case, and
considering that neither Tom nor I are particularly sold on what we
did with CONCAT(), nor am I sure that we even agree with each other on
what the right thing to do would have been there, I'm a bit skeptical
about our ability to get these decisions right. But it might still be
an improvement.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company