Re: MVCC catalog access

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MVCC catalog access
Date: 2013-06-03 18:57:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Michael Paquier
> +1.

Here's a more serious patch for MVCC catalog access. This one
involves more data copying than the last one, I think, because the
previous version did not register the snapshots it took, which I think
is not safe. So this needs to be re-tested for performance, which I
have so far made no attempt to do.

It strikes me as rather unfortunate that the snapshot interface is
designed in such a way as to require so much data copying. It seems
we always take a snapshot by copying from PGXACT/PGPROC into
CurrentSnapshotData or SecondarySnapshotData, and then copying data a
second time from there to someplace more permanent. It would be nice
to avoid that, at least in common cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
mvcc-catalog-access-v3.patch application/octet-stream 91.9 KB