Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog
Date: 2014-06-17 14:18:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> attached is a simple patch which makes it possible to change the system
> identifier of the cluster in pg_control. This is useful for
> individualization of the instance that is started on top of data directory
> produced by pg_basebackup - something that's helpful for logical replication
> setup where you need to easily identify each node (it's used by
> Bidirectional Replication for example).

I can clearly understand the utility of being able to reset the system
ID to a new, randomly-generated system ID - but giving the user the
ability to set a particular value of their own choosing seems like a
pretty sharp tool. What is the use case for that?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company