Re: -d option for pg_isready is broken

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: -d option for pg_isready is broken
Date: 2013-12-11 13:26:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> While I was investigaing PQhost() for that approach, I found several
> problems of PQhost().
>
> (1) PQhost() can return Unix-domain socket directory path even in the
> platform that
> doesn't support Unix-domain socket.
>
> (2) In the platform that doesn't support Unix-domain socket, when
> neither host nor hostaddr
> are specified, the default host 'localhost' is used to connect to
> the server and
> PQhost() must return that, but it doesn't.

I think changing PQhost() so that it returns DefaultHost rather than
conn->pgunixsocket when we don't HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS is a back-patchable
bug fix, and I'd say go for it.

> (3) PQhost() cannot return the hostaddr.

However, I'm much less sure whether this is something that we want to
do at all. It seems like this might be a definition of what the
function does, and I'm not sure whether the new definition is what
everyone will want. On the other hand, I'm also not sure that it
isn't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company