Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)
Date: 2017-01-18 23:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> SELECT x, CASE WHEN x > 0 THEN generate_series(1, 5) ELSE 0 END FROM tab;
>>
>> It might seem that this should produce five repetitions of input rows
>> that have x > 0, and a single repetition of those that do not; but
>> actually it will produce five repetitions of every input row. This is
>> because generate_series() is run first, and then the CASE expression is
>> applied to its result rows. The behavior is thus comparable to
>>
>> SELECT x, CASE WHEN x > 0 THEN g ELSE 0 END
>> FROM tab, LATERAL generate_series(1,5) AS g;
>>
>> It would be exactly the same, except that in this specific example, the
>> planner could choose to put g on the outside of the nestloop join, since
>> g has no actual lateral dependency on tab. That would result in a
>> different output row order. Set-returning functions in the select list
>> are always evaluated as though they are on the inside of a nestloop join
>> with the rest of the FROM clause, so that the function(s) are run to
>> completion before the next row from the FROM clause is considered.
>>
>> So is this too ugly to live, or shall we put up with it?
>
> I'm very tentatively in favor of living with it.

So, one of the big reasons I use CASE is to avoid evaluating
expressions in cases where they might throw an ERROR. Like, you know:

CASE WHEN d != 0 THEN n / d ELSE NULL END

I guess it's not the end of the world if that only works for
non-set-returning functions, but it's something to think about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company